Week 1 (Jan 21): Intro
Week 2 (Jan 27/29): Help and Cooperation
- Bloom, P. (2009). Descartes' baby: How the science of child development explains what makes us human. (Excerpt-"Good and Evil") Basic Books. Download.
- Warneken, F., & Tomasello, M. (2006). Altruistic helping in human infants and young chimpanzees. Science, 311(5765), 1301-1303. Download.
Week 3 (Feb 2/4): Anger, Revenge, and Altruistic Punishment
- Pinker, S. (1999). How the mind works. "Doomsday Machine" [this is a brief excerpt from the chapter entitled "Hotheads."] Download
- Fehr, E., & Gächter, S. (2002). Altruistic punishment in humans. Nature, 415, 137-140. Download [NOTE: It's okay if some of the statistical analyses are unfamiliar. You don't need to know the details. You should be able to understand the gist of the findings from the surrounding discussion. If you haven't read the suggested article from Week 1, it may help.]
Week 4 (Feb 11):
February 9 NO CLASS (Prof will be out of town)
- Haidt, J. (2001). The emotional dog and its rational tail: a social intuitionist approach to moral judgment. Psychological review, 108(4), 814. Download
- Pizarro, D. A., & Bloom, P. (2003). The intelligence of the moral intuitions: A comment on Haidt (2001). Download.
Week 5 (Feb 18): Relativism and Objectivity
- Background reading: Moral Relativism. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Link.
- Sarkissian, H., Park, J., Tien, D., Wright, J. C., & Knobe, J. (2011). Folk moral relativism. Mind & Language, 26(4), 482-505. Download.
Week 6 (Feb 23/25): Culture and Morality
- Rozin, P., Lowery, L., Imada, S., & Haidt, J. (1999). The CAD triad hypothesis: a mapping between three moral emotions (contempt, anger, disgust) and three moral codes (community, autonomy, divinity). Journal of personality and social psychology, 76(4), 574. Download.
- Graham, J., Haidt, J., & Nosek, B. A. (2009). Liberals and conservatives rely on different sets of moral foundations. Journal of personality and social psychology, 96(5), 1029. Download.
Week 7 (March 2/4): Cheating and Trust
- Mazar, N., Amir, O., & Ariely, D. (2008). The dishonesty of honest people: A theory of self-concept maintenance. Journal of marketing research, 45(6), 633-644. Download.
- Fetchenhauer, D., & Dunning, D. (2010). Why so cynical? Asymmetric feedback underlies misguided skepticism regarding the trustworthiness of others. Psychological Science. Download.
Week 8 (March 9/11): Psychopathy
- Hare, R. D. (1999). Chapter 6: The Roots of the Problem. From Without conscience: The disturbing world of the psychopaths among us. Guilford Press. Download.
- Cima, M., Tonnaer, F., & Hauser, M. D. (2010). Psychopaths know right from wrong but don’t care. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 5(1), 59-67. Download.
Week 9 (March 16/18): Force, Harm, and Sacrificial Moral Judgment
- Greene, J. D., Cushman, F. A., Stewart, L. E., Lowenberg, K., Nystrom, L. E., & Cohen, J. D. (2009). Pushing moral buttons: The interaction between personal force and intention in moral judgment. Cognition, 111(3), 364-371. Download.
- Cushman, F., Gray, K., Gaffey, A., & Mendes, W. B. (2012). Simulating murder: the aversion to harmful action. Emotion, 12, 2. Download.
Week 10 (March 23/25):
- Carlsmith, K. M., Darley, J. M., & Robinson, P. H. (2002). Why do we punish?: Deterrence and just deserts as motives for punishment. Journal of personality and social psychology, 83(2), 284. Download.
- Greene, J., & Cohen, J. (2004). For the law, neuroscience changes nothing and everything. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, 359(1451), 1775-85. Download.
Week 11 (No Class Spring Break)
Week 12 (April 6/8): The Expanding Moral Circle
- Bloom, P. (2009). Descartes' baby: How the science of child development explains what makes us human. (Excerpt-"The Moral Circle") Basic Books. Download.
- Pinker, S. (2011). Violence vanquished. The Wall Street Journal, 24. Link.
Week 13 (April 13/15):
- Wheatley, T., & Haidt, J. (2005). Hypnotic Disgust Makes Moral Judgments More Severe. Psychological Science, 16(10), 780-784. Download
- Inbar, Y., Pizarro, D., Iyer, R., & Haidt, J. (2012). Disgust sensitivity, political conservatism, and voting. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 3(5), 537-544. Download.
Week 14 (April 20/22):
- Sunstein, C. R. (2005). Moral heuristics. Behavioral and brain sciences, 28(4), 531-541. Download.
Week 15 (April 29):
- Ditto, P. H., Pizarro, D. A., & Tannenbaum, D. (2009). Motivated moral reasoning. Psychology of learning and motivation, 50, 307-338. Download.
Week 16 (May 4/6):
- Kahan, D. M., Peters, E., Dawson, E. C., & Slovic, P. (2013). Motivated numeracy and enlightened self-government. Yale Law School, Public Law Working Paper, (307). Download.
- Kahan, D. M. (2012). Ideology, motivated reasoning, and cognitive reflection: an experimental study. Judgment and Decision Making, 8, 407-24. Download.